American Wine Society
North Alabama Chapter
After volunteering to host a tasting, get with the Program Chair to:
- Pick a theme and month for your tasting
- Select about six wines to be tasted and an Aperitif
- Submit a write up to the Newsletter Editor with the details of your tasting to include: theme (to include information about the wines), names of host(s), location, time, directions, cost (refer to Estimating the cost of a tasting) and number of attendees you can accommodate
Before the tasting:
- The chapter treasurer will notify you of the number of reservations
- Arrange for one bottle of each wine for every 10 reservations for dry wines. For sweet wines, plan 15-18 pours per bottle. If tasting more than 6 dry wines, plan 12 pours per bottle.
- Arrange to get wine glasses for the tasting (from Programs chair or the previous months host) Prepare food to be served
- Chill wines to appropriate serving temperature
- Provide a hand-out of the wines to be tasted
At the tasting:
- Introduce each wine as it is poured
- At the end of the tasting, determine which wines were favorites
After the tasting:
- Submit article to the Newsletter Editor about the tasting. Provide a list of the wines tasted, their prices and an indication of which wines were favored.
- Submit receipts to treasurer
- Hosts do not accept reservations. All reservations must be made through the treasurer.
- The hosts must be AWS members
- The tasting fee is waived for the hosts, up to two persons
- The hosts are reimbursed $5 per person, including hosts, food allowance